Wood: Before You Buy
Keep these pointers in mind before you commit to any purchase:
- Wood flooring is a natural product and does need to be protected and maintained. Furniture and high heels can mark and damage floors and we always recommend using felt pads to protect your floor from marks and damage. Additionally, as with all natural products, real wood will change colour over time especially in areas where there is a lot of sunlight.
- Wood flooring comes in a variety of thicknesses. This is an important consideration when laying in rooms with opening doors and pre-existing fireplaces.
- The width of planks can change the outlook and aspect of your room. For larger rooms, we recommend using wide planks, whilst for smaller spaces it is advisable to use thinner planks to create a feeling of space.
- Wood flooring can be fitted in two different ways. Engineered wood flooring is fitted using a locking mechanism and is usually fitted over an underlay. Solid wood flooring is generally glued to concrete floors or nailed to floorboards using secret nails. As a result it is not possible to fit solid wood flooring over an underlay.
- The majority of wood flooring manufacturers offer a variety of accessories to complete your flooring finish. This can affect the finished appearance. Make sure you see a sample first!