Know Your Wood Flooring Finishes
Aside from choosing between engineered and solid wood floors, you can choose the finish of your flooring too. There are a wide variety of finishes on the market.
- Oiled: Oil wood finishes tend to give a rich warmth to the wood’s surface and provide a natural wood look which isn’t glossy or polished.
- Lacquered: Lacquering or varnishing provides a shiny, glossy look to your floor. It also adds lasting protection against daily wear.
- Rustic: Rustic or distressed wood flooring allows the wood’s ‘imperfections’ to show through, creating a more natural and characterful look for your floor.
- Hand-scrapped – An additional finish to create extra texture and ‘worn-charm’.
- Unfinished: This retains the wood’s natural look and is usually lighter.
- Matt: A matt finish provides the protection of lacquer and varnish without the shine or gloss.